Saturday 6 February 2010

Retrospective - 2001, 02 - addendum

I was rooting through some old photos on the lookout for scanning material and I found these from my first year at the Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design in Dundee.

At the beginning of the fine art course the class were set a series of briefs, and the first was a still life. I made a text piece about three objects; an apple, a skull and a flower:







Still being set briefs, we were asked to make some work on the theme of 'spacial awareness'. I got a book from the library about sports called The Rules of the Game, and I was also inspired by this article in Frieze magazine. I since found out it was written by Dennis Cooper, someone I've now become a big fan of.













What follows is a series of paintings I made during a half-term break, called 13 Means To An End. I sold one so there are only 12 photos:


























Installation view


Drawing, part of the Cheshire Cat work


Untitled - Confetti scattered on a canvas

No comments: