Sunday 29 August 2010

Central Station - My Artist



Recently I contributed to a blog chat at Central Station called MY ARTIST. That discussion is now online: LINK

MY ARTIST

"In his contribution to the catalogue accompanying the Martin Creed exhibition at Fruitmarket, Alex Coles refers to Creed as ‘my artist’, adding that ‘everyone has one’.

My understanding of the term used by Coles is the artist whose work provokes an instinctive reaction of familiarity and affection – the notion is a romantic one. It goes deeper that ones favourite artist- it suggests a degree of ownership over them and their work. It’s the artist whose work you return to time and again, and who is always there in the background.

It may be comparable to an old, strong friendship.

It might be love.

Throughout the Edinburgh Arts Festival I have been collecting thoughts and idea on this concept from artists and curators. The responses will be collected and added anonymously below."

No comments: